Instant Pot Lentil Soup
Filled with tender lentils and fresh veggies, this Instant Pot lentil soup recipe is an easy, delicious lunch or dinner. Just add crusty bread to make it a meal!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped,
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots, about 4 medium
- 6 kale leaves, stems finely diced, leaves chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- ¾ cup uncooked green lentils
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 12 fresh thyme sprigs, bundled
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- Heaping ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Red pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan, for serving, optional
- Crusty bread, for serving
Select the Sauté function on your Instant Pot. Set the level to medium and set the time to 8 minutes. When the Instant Pot is preheated, drizzle the oil into the pot and add the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook for the 8 minutes, or until the vegetables soften.
Add the kale stems, garlic, tomatoes, lentils, vinegar, thyme bundle, salt, cumin and several grinds of pepper to the pot and stir. Pour in the vegetable broth and secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally. This will take 20 to 30 minutes. When the float valve drops, remove the lid and stir in the kale leaves. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Remove the thyme bundle, and garnish with the parsley and grated Parmesan, if desired. Serve with crusty bread.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook until the vegetables start to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the kale stems, garlic, and cumin, followed by the vinegar, tomatoes, broth, thyme, lentils, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Add the kale leaves and cook for 5 minutes more, or until wilted. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with the parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired.