This easy power bowl recipe is energizing, refreshing, and delicious! Perfect for meal prep, it's filled with crisp veggies, nutty rice, and jammy eggs.
If you need a little something to brighten your day (your week, your month, or even your year…), make this power bowl! It has so many vivid colors and textures that I start smiling whenever I see it. I mean, seriously. How could you not ooh and ahh at that stunning purple daikon?!
Power bowl recipes are always some of my favorite things to make in January, when I’m craving lighter and brighter foods after the holidays. This year, this particular power bowl recipe has really hit the spot. Crisp veggies play off creamy avocado, nutty black rice, and a rich, jammy soft boiled egg. Pickled ginger adds a refreshing kick, and a sweet and savory sesame ginger dressing ties it all together.
Because all the veggies here are raw, this recipe is a great one for meal prep. Cook a batch of rice and mix up the dressing over the weekend, and pop them in the fridge. That way, you’ll be able to assemble this power bowl in no time throughout the week. For me, at least, on a gray winter day, nothing hits the spot more than an energizing, invigorating lunch like this.
Power Bowl Recipe Ingredients
This power bowl recipe is packed with yummy, good-for-you ingredients:
- Black rice – This slightly sweet, nutty rice is chock-full of nutrients! It’s a delicious, nourishing base for this power bowl recipe.
- Soft-boiled eggs – For protein! I love how the runny yolks mingle with and coat the veggies.
- Edamame – It amps up this power bowl’s protein content even more.
- Salad greens – Use whatever baby greens you like best! I choose a mix of baby kale, arugula, and chard.
- Radishes – For peppery flavor and crunch. I like using purple daikon, but any color or variety will work here.
- Carrots – I use a vegetable peeler to slice them into crisp, curly ribbons.
- Avocado – Its creamy texture contrasts wonderfully with the crisp veggies and nutty rice.
- Pickled ginger – It adds a lightly sweet, refreshing kick.
- Sesame ginger dressing – To tie it all together! This addictive dressing is nutty, savory, and lightly sweet. You’re going to love it.
Right before I eat, I sprinkle my bowl with sesame seeds for crunch and scallions for sweet, oniony flavor. And because I love this power bowl with some heat, I add a squirt of sriracha to take it over the top.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
This recipe is fantastic as-written, but like all power bowl recipes, it’s flexible! Alter it to suit your tastes or use what you have on hand. Here are a few easy ways to change it up:
- Make it vegan. Making this power bowl recipe vegan is simple – just skip the egg! For additional protein, double the amount of edamame, or top the bowl with black beans, baked tofu, tempeh, or crispy roasted chickpeas.
- Swap the grain. Can’t find black rice? Don’t worry about it. Use brown rice or quinoa instead!
- Try another sauce. Gochujang sauce, tahini dressing, peanut sauce, and cilantro lime dressing would all be delicious here.
- Vary the veggies. Swap shaved beets for the radishes or thinly sliced fennel for the carrots. Roasted veggies would be great here too. Add sweet potatoes, butternut squash, asparagus, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts.
Let me know what variations you try!
More Favorite Power Bowl Recipes
If you love this hearty rice bowl, try another of these delicious power bowl recipes next:
- Best Buddha Bowl
- Adzuki Bean Bowl
- Macro Veggie Bowl
- Roasted Veggie Grain Bowl
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowl
- Vegan Burrito Bowl
- Kimchi Brown Rice Bliss Bowl
- Or any of these 15 Best Rice Bowl Recipes!
Veggie Power Bowl
- Two handfuls mixed salad greens
- 1 cup cooked forbidden black rice
- 1 carrot, peeled into thin ribbons
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ⅓ cup frozen edamame, thawed
- ¼ cup thinly sliced daikon radish or any radish
- 1 to 2 soft-boiled eggs
- Sesame Ginger Dressing, for drizzling
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- 1 chopped scallion, optional
- pickled ginger, optional
- Lemon or lime wedges, for serving, optional
- Sriracha, for serving, optional
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Assemble each bowl with the salad greens, rice, carrot, avocado, edamame, daikon, and soft-boiled eggs.
- Drizzle with the dressing, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Add scallions and pickled ginger, if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with lemon wedges and sriracha, if desired.