You're going to LOVE this breakfast potatoes recipe! It's super easy to make, and the potatoes come out perfectly crispy and golden brown every time.
What’s not to love about breakfast potatoes? They’re crispy on the outside, creamy in the middle, and seasoned to perfection with smoky, savory spices. They’re SO simple to make, and they taste great with just about any breakfast food. Not sure what to serve with that tofu scramble or frittata? Breakfast potatoes to the rescue!
You’ll find my easy breakfast potatoes recipe below. It’s a standby in our house – I make it whenever I’m cooking brunch, whether it’s for my whole family or just Jack and me. I offer two variations in the recipe. In one, you just roast the potatoes with salt, pepper, and spices. In the other, you toss the roasted potatoes with sautéed onions and bell peppers. Both versions are delicious, but I recommend adding the extra veggies if you can. They really take these breakfast potatoes over the top!
Breakfast Potatoes Recipe Ingredients
Ready to cook? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Potatoes, of course! Steer clear of big, starchy russet potatoes for this recipe. Instead, look for small yellow or red potatoes. They’ll cook up with crispy skins and tender, creamy interiors.
- Smoked paprika – It infuses the potatoes with delicious smoky flavor.
- Red pepper flakes – For heat.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – It adds richness and helps the potatoes crisp up in the oven.
- Sautéed onion, garlic, and red bell pepper – These sautéed veggies are optional, but they really amp up the flavor in this breakfast potatoes recipe. Definitely use them if you can!
- Cilantro – Again, it’s optional, but its fresh flavor perfectly accents the smoky breakfast potatoes.
- And salt and pepper – To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Breakfast Potatoes
My method for how to make breakfast potatoes is super easy! Here’s how it goes:
First, prep the potatoes. Cut them into 1/2-inch chunks, leaving the skins on. They’re essential for helping the potatoes get nice and crispy in the oven! Spread the potatoes on a large, parchment-lined baking sheet and toss them with olive oil, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, and red pepper flakes.
Arrange the potatoes in a single layer, leaving a little space around each one. If they’re too crowded, they’ll steam in the oven, and they won’t crisp up as they bake.
Then, bake! Transfer the potatoes to a 425° oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp around the edges. If you like, you could stop here and devour the crispy potatoes as they are, but I recommend making the optional sautéed veggies if you can.
Next, sauté the onions and peppers. Heat a little olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic and cook until soft and lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the veggies from the heat, stir in the potatoes, and sprinkle with cilantro.
Finally, season to taste with salt and pepper, and eat!
Breakfast Potatoes Serving Suggestions
These crispy breakfast potatoes pair nicely with all kinds of breakfast and brunch fare. For a simple breakfast, serve them with sunny-side-up or poached eggs or an easy Tofu Scramble. They’d also be excellent with any of these larger brunch recipes:
- Vegetable Frittata (5 ways!)
- Healthy Breakfast Casserole
- Mini Frittata Muffins
- Best Shakshuka
- Healthy Breakfast Tacos
If I’m not serving these breakfast potatoes as a side dish, there’s one other way I like to use them: in a breakfast burrito! They’re fantastic in these Veggie Breakfast Burritos with black beans and scrambled eggs, and you could add them to this Vegan Breakfast Burrito too.
More Brunch and Breakfast Side Dishes
If you love these crispy breakfast potatoes, try one of these easy brunch recipes next:
- Avocado Toast (5 ways!)
- Homemade Bagels
- Pickled Eggs
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Homemade Granola
- Blueberry Scones
- Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Healthy Banana Bread
Optional sautéed onions & peppers
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 red pepper, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ⅓ cup cilantro, for serving
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the potatoes onto the sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, the smoked paprika, and pinches of red pepper flakes. Toss to coat, spread evenly on the pan, and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and crisp around the edges. Stop here and serve as-is or mix with sautéed onions and peppers.
- Make the onions & peppers: Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, and garlic and sauté until soft and lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the potatoes and sprinkle with cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.